Today Ariana Huffington was on TV talking about how sleep-deprived we are as a nation. Here are 5 take-aways from what she had to say about how we can all get a better night’s rest so our days can be better, too.
- Don’t sleep in your day clothes like t-shirts, sweats and yoga pants. Day clothes signal to your body that it’s still daytime. Slip into some cozy pj’s or a silk nighty and your body will automatically shift into night gear, preparing you for sleep.
- No TV for at least one hour before you go to bed! It plays havoc with your Circadian rhythms and throws your body clock off.
- If you’re going to read a book in bed, make sure it’s not a thriller. Instead, try something something more relaxing like a historical novel, a biography, or a book of affirmations instead. Any material that won’t rile you up or get you thinking about work.
- Don’t curl up in bed with your phone. Instead, put it on mute/silent, and plug it into its charger out of reach so you won’t be tempted to pick it up during the night. Phones in bed are probably the number one reason we aren’t getting the sleep we all need.
- When you hit the pillow, take three deep breaths. Then think of three things you’re grateful for. This will put you in a pleasant state of mind for a restful, happy night of sleep.
For more great suggestions, check out Ariana Huffington’s new book, “The Sleep Revolution.”