Talaya’s WAVE Cafe Dish of the Day sponsored by Spaghettini: Steak Salad
All this week, we’re featuring recipes from Spaghettini Grill & Lounge in Seal Beach, many of which you may recognize from the menu at our Sunday Brunch! Each recipe is complete with a how to instructional video featuring the owners of Spaghettini, Cary & Laurie! Plus, the perfect wine pairing is recommended for each dish.
[photogallerylink id=42480 align=left]
Today’s dish is steak salad.
Every weekday morning at 8:00, Pat & Kim announce my WAVE Cafe Dish of the Day. Then during the WAVE Cafe starting at noon, listen for me to give the cue to call 1-800-520-WAVE (9283).
If you’re the 9th caller and know today’s WAVE Cafe Dish of the Day, you win this week’s prize, a pair of tickets to see Smooth Summer Jazz featuring [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Dave Koz[/lastfm] and Friends at the Hollywood Bowl on August 14th.
Watch below how to prepare today’s recipe:
1 bag baby arugula
1 red bell pepper, grilled and julienne cut
1 green bell pepper grilled and julienne cut
1 Portabello mushroom grilled and sliced
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
3 T. blue cheese crumbles
1/4 cup baby Heirloom tomatoes cut in half
¼ cup of pesto vinaigrette (recipe to follow)
1 6oz. sirloin steak (recipe for marinade below)
1 T. olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Put oven safe saucepan on high heat and add 1 T. olive oil.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper and sear on both sides.
- Place pan in oven for approximately 7 minutes for medium rare.
- Remove steak from pan and let rest.
- Toss pesto vinaigrette with ingredients in bowl.
- Slice steak and place on top of salad.
3 cups red wine
1 1/2 cups soy
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 T. Chopped ginger
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 rosemary sprigs, chopped
2 T. Olive oil
Stir all ingredients together in a large bowl.
1/4 pound basil leaves
4 Roma tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic
1 T. black pepper table grind
1 tsp. salt (optional to your own taste)
1 cup red wine vinegar
2 cups water
4 cups olive oil
- In a large pan, bring the water to a boil, add the tomatoes, basil, and garlic cloves, boil for 5 minutes, then add 1 cup of olive oil.
- Once the tomatoes are soft and the skin is peeling, have a strainer ready and strain out the tomatoes.
- Let the tomatoes cool, and then peel.
- In a blender put tomatoes, basil, garlic, salt and pepper, blend, then slowly drizzle the rest of the olive oil into the mixture and taste for flavor.
Find out what wine Laurie paired this dish with on the next page.