All this week, we’re featuring recipes from Spaghettini Grill & Lounge in Seal Beach, many of which you may recognize from the menu at our Sunday Brunch! Each recipe is complete with a how to instructional video featuring the owners of Spaghettini, Cary & Laurie! Plus, the perfect wine pairing is recommended for each dish.
[photogallerylink id=42204 align=left]
Today’s dish is New Zealand lamb chops with buttermilk mashed potatoes and port wine reduction.
Every weekday morning at 8:00, Pat & Kim announce my WAVE Cafe Dish of the Day. Then during the WAVE Cafe starting at noon, listen for me to give the cue to call 1-800-520-WAVE (9283).
If you’re the 9th caller and know today’s WAVE Cafe Dish of the Day, you win this week’s prize, a pair of tickets to see Smooth Summer Jazz featuring [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Dave Koz[/lastfm] and Friends at the Hollywood Bowl on August 14th.
Watch below how to prepare today’s recipe:
New Zealand Lamb Chops:
One 16-18oz. New Zealand lamb rack
2 T. chopped thyme
Salt & pepper
1 T. olive oil
- Trim off the extra fat on the lamb and cut into double lamb chops.
- Rub the lamb with olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Let marinate at least 15 minutes.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees.
- Grill approximately 3 minutes per side (for medium rare).
Port Wine Reduction Sauce:
1 cup Port Wine
3 T. veal demi glaze
- Add the wine to a small sauce pan and heat on high until it reaches a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook until it reduces down to about ¼ cup (sauce should be shiny and thick).
- Stir in veal demi glaze, salt and pepper, strain and set aside.
Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes:
2 large Yukon Gold potatoes
Salt & pepper
- Peel potatoes, cut into even sized cubes and place in pot of water.
- Heat on high and boil approximately 15 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Strain the water and slowly add the buttermilk, while whisking or mixing with a hand blender, season with salt and pepper.
Find out what wine Laurie paired this dish with on the next page.
This dish was paired with Casa Piena.
Casa Piena means “Full House” in Italian, and is a small production Cabernet from a highly regarded winery in the heart of Yountville in Napa Valley. Under the direction of renown wine winemaker Thomas Brown, Casa Piena pairs the robust opulence of Napa Valley Cabernet with the sophistication of a great Bordeaux. With characteristics of ripe red and black fruit, spice and minerality, it’s the perfect compliment to the bold flavors of the New Zealand Lamb Chops.