All this week, we’re featuring recipes from Spaghettini Grill & Lounge in Seal Beach, many of which you may recognize from the menu at our Sunday Brunch! Each recipe is complete with a how to instructional video featuring the owners of Spaghettini, Cary & Laurie! Plus, the perfect wine pairing is recommended for each dish.
[photogallerylink id=42204 align=left]
Today’s dish is New Zealand lamb chops with buttermilk mashed potatoes and port wine reduction.
Every weekday morning at 8:00, Pat & Kim announce my WAVE Cafe Dish of the Day. Then during the WAVE Cafe starting at noon, listen for me to give the cue to call 1-800-520-WAVE (9283).
If you’re the 9th caller and know today’s WAVE Cafe Dish of the Day, you win this week’s prize, a pair of tickets to see Smooth Summer Jazz featuring [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Dave Koz[/lastfm] and Friends at the Hollywood Bowl on August 14th.
Watch below how to prepare today’s recipe:
New Zealand Lamb Chops:
One 16-18oz. New Zealand lamb rack
2 T. chopped thyme
Salt & pepper
1 T. olive oil
- Trim off the extra fat on the lamb and cut into double lamb chops.
- Rub the lamb with olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Let marinate at least 15 minutes.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees.
- Grill approximately 3 minutes per side (for medium rare).
Port Wine Reduction Sauce:
1 cup Port Wine
3 T. veal demi glaze
- Add the wine to a small sauce pan and heat on high until it reaches a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook until it reduces down to about ¼ cup (sauce should be shiny and thick).
- Stir in veal demi glaze, salt and pepper, strain and set aside.
Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes:
2 large Yukon Gold potatoes
Salt & pepper
- Peel potatoes, cut into even sized cubes and place in pot of water.
- Heat on high and boil approximately 15 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Strain the water and slowly add the buttermilk, while whisking or mixing with a hand blender, season with salt and pepper.
Find out what wine Laurie paired this dish with on the next page.