Top Ten Celebrity Winemakers
There’s nothing like putting your feet up and relaxing with a glass of wine at the end of a long, hard day. Even a growing number of celebrities are getting into the wine business for either passion or enterprise by producing their own line of wines from their own vineyards.
So if you’re a wine aficionado, check out these popular celebs you might have never known grow and process grapes into a delicious wine.
1. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Dave Koz[/lastfm]: He’s a sensational performer and dedicated vintner. In a partnership with Napa Valley winery Vinum Cellars, Dave Koz produces three different varieties of wine. Not only is the taste worth buying, but all sale proceeds benefit the Starlight Children’s Foundation.
- Dave Koz Wine is available in Whole Foods stores in SoCal, Nevada and Arizona in three varieties: KOZ 2008 Anything’s Possible, California Cabernet Sauvignon, KOZ 2009 Getaway, Monterey Chardonnay, and KOZ 2009 Put The Top Down, Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc.
2. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Mick Hucknall[/lastfm]: The singer of Simply Red launched his line of wine called Il Cantante (“The Singer” in Italian) with experienced winemaker Salvo Foti. He produces three different varieties of wine grown in the volcanic soils of Sicily’s Mt. Etna.
3. Francis Ford Coppola: Known as the “godfather” of winemaking, the Oscar-winning director has been making wine since 1975 on his Rubicon Estate in Napa Valley. He’s produced a massive line of wines with one of his most recent being Sofia Blanc de Blancs, named after his Oscar-winning director daughter.
4. Emilio Estevez: Former “Brat Pack” actor Emilio Estevez is one of the most recent celebs joining the ranks of celeb vintners. Under the name Casa Dumetz, the actor is purely in the winemaking business for personal pleasure instead of cashing in on his fame.
5. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Sting[/lastfm]: Though he doesn’t sell his wines to the public, Sting owns his own personal winery south of Florance, Italy at his tiny establishment called Sting’s Cafe. You have to be lucky enough to get an invitation to his 900-acre Tuscan estate called Il Palagio in order to try his line of wines.
6. Emeril Lagasse: Celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse knows how to blend the right ingredients when it comes to food and wine. At the very reasonably priced$12.99, you can taste Emeril’s Classic Red Wines.
7. Johnny Depp: Telling French magazine Madame Figaro, Depp revealed that his favorite wines included Châteaux Calon-Ségur, Pétrus and Cheval-Blanc from Bordeaux. Clearly knowledgable about his wines, Depp has taken his interest to another level by purchasing his own private winery on his St.Tropez vacation spot.
8. Dan Aykroyd: The comedian actor vet has turned winemaker on his personal farm in Ottawa, Canada, producing a large line of wines from Chardonnay to Cabernet all for under $20.
9. Antonio Banderas: The sexy, Spanish actor Antonio Banderas recently got into the wine business after buying a 50 percent claim of Bodega Anta Natura in the town of Burgos Villalba de Duero. He later renamed the estate Anta Banderas.
10. Olivia Newton-John: The singer/actress founded the Koala Blue Wines in 1983 with business partner Pat Farrar in Australia to make a line of high-quality wines inspired by the characteristics of Australia.